The Google Play and Apple App Store stand out as towering giants in the mobile world, commanding developers’ and consumers’ attention. However, alternative app stores have a lot of potential despite their dominance. These lesser-known platforms offer app developers unique opportunities to reach diverse audiences and expand their reach. Let’s explore alternative app stores and learn why they are worth! exploring.
What are alternative app stores?
Alternative app stores, also known as OEM platforms, emerge from major device manufacturers such as Samsung, Oppo, Vivo, Xiaomi, Huawei, and V-Appstore. These platforms provide a distinct avenue for developers to distribute their apps beyond the confines of Google Play and the App Store. Let’s explore some notable examples:
- Samsung Galaxy Store: Samsung’s The Galaxy Store offers apps, games exclusive themes, and other customizations for mobile devices manufactured by Samsung Electronics. The app store boasts a substantial worldwide market share, offering developers access to users with significant spending power.
- Xiaomi GetApp: Rapidly expanding in emerging markets across Europe and South America, GetApps is Xiaomi’s official app distribution platform. It now operates in 59 regions and will gradually cover more than 100 regions in the future.
- Oppo App Market: With a growing presence in Southeast Asia, Oppo’s app market focuses on user engagement and monetization through in-app advertising.
- Huawei AppGallery: Huawei’s app store offers developers access to a global audience, leveraging carrier validation and firmware integration for enhanced user acquisition.
- V-Appstore: V-Appstore is the official app store of the smartphone manufacturer Vivo. Since 2009, Vivo has expanded its global market, serving over 400 million users with its mobile products and services in over 60 countries and regions.
Alternate App Stores and User Acquisition
Alternative app stores play a significant role in mobile user acquisition by providing developers and marketers with additional avenues to reach potential users beyond traditional app distribution platforms like Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
Alternative Stores Have Niche Audiences and Less Competition
It’s true that Google Play boasts unparalleled visibility and potential success for apps that manage to stand out. However, there’s also competition within its ecosystem. Getting noticed in a sea of 80,000 to 120,000 new apps every month is challenging, and standing out requires a lot of effort and resources.
An app’s success on Google Play often depends on ranking within the top 25 to 50 positions, which normally requires significant marketing resources. A saturated market makes organic growth difficult, while OEMs give you the opportunity to reach niche and engaged audiences through native placements where there’s less competition.
How to Utilize OEMs Further?
- The dynamic pre-install feature gives you unprecedented access to all devices sold by OEM partners and carriers. Your app is displayed when users open their new phones, grabbing their attention immediately. This gives you the opportunity to reach users ahead of your competitors and ensure continuous exposure for your app. In addition to thousands of new device owners, you can access more users with every system update.
On-Device Recommendation Model
- On Android phones, the recommendation engine includes app vaults, native browsers, and recommended sections. The recommended placements have high opt-in rates, which enable apps to increase LTV and retention rates.
Below are some statistics about alternative app store you might want to know:
- As of 2023, there are 3.3 billion users of Android OS worldwide.
- According to AppsFlyer, 32% of preinstall campaign users continue using the app one month after installing it.
Android market share:
- USA: 42.29%
- UK: 49.13%
- India: 95.10%
- South America: 88.37%
- Europe: 72.87%
Why should you try OEMs over conventional methods?
- Using firmware means 100% fraud-free:
The installation process happens during device setup, so fraudulent activity or unauthorized installations are not risky. Secure app distribution safeguards against potential threats to user data and ensures a trustworthy experience.
- Users who install apps while setting up their new devices retain them:
When new devices are set up, apps that are seamlessly integrated into their experience from the beginning tend to have higher retention rates. Using OEMs, developers can establish a lasting connection with users, encouraging long-term engagement and loyalty.
- Carrier-validated installations ensure accuracy:
By validating app installations, carriers ensure the accuracy and legitimacy of the installs and their source campaigns.
Alternative app stores offer developers unprecedented opportunities to reach their audiences. Diversifying distribution channels and incorporating innovative promotion strategies can help developers overcome the limitations of traditional app stores and achieve greater growth and success.
Interested in learning more? Contact us to discuss alternative app stores and discover new ways to grow your app. Your audience awaits, and the opportunities are limitless!