15 Mar 2020 Best Mobile Ad Formats And Mobile Ad Sizes
Mobile advertising is a way to put your message in front of the right people at the right time. You spend your money, your time and effort to turn them into qualified and loyal users. Basically mobile ad formats help you:
- Reach the largest possible target audience
- Target the right users
- Get better ad impressions
At this point, there are different ways that form “mobile advertising” completely. In this post, I want to explain what are mobile ad formats together with their features in a few words.
You will find in this blog post (mobile banner ads);
App Samurai is an AI-powered, secure mobile growth platform. Register, add your app and start driving high-quality users.
- Mobile banner sizes
- Tablet banner sizes
- Best ad size for mobile and
- In app banner size
Table of Contents
Mobile Ad Formats
People of all ages use their mobile devices wherever they go. And the screen size is changeable. In order to offer the best experience, run the best ad campaign, raise the variability, and increase revenue, mobile ads should be placed in optimal sizes.
There are four major and most up-to-date mobile ad types. And all of them have unique features within itself. In this article, you can examine mobile ad formats, learn their features, and ad sizes. Let’s start! What are the current mobile ad formats?
What are Banner Ads?
It is the most popular mobile ad format. Banner ads appear in the form of bar, column, or box containing relevant text and graphics at the top or bottom of the screen. As being safe and simple, it is preferred by many people because they are affordable and easy to launch. Also, they are universally supported mobile ad formats. Move down to display advertising banner sizes.
Mobile banner ad sizes and tablet banner ad sizes are different from each other. Here is the best ad size for mobile and tablet.
For mobile, 320*50, and 300*50 mobile banner ads perform quite well.
For tablets; 728*90 and 300*250 mobile banner ads perform quite well.
The Features of 320*50 and 300*50 Mobile Banner Ads
- They are leaderboards of mobile.
- They are the most effective mobile ad banners.
- They are popular among mobile websites and apps.
- They can be fitted for wider screens at either the top of the screen or the bottom.
- The thing that should be considered is to make texts and CTA buttons big enough to be readable on a small device.
The Features of 728*90 Banner Ads
- Known as “leaderboard”
- They are often placed at the top center of a webpage.
- They are popular among tablets and desktops as they perform better on them.
- All graphics don’t fit perfectly within its dimensions. So, create a content that fits perfectly for the wide and short format.
- The price tends to increase due to its popularity.
The Features of 300*250 Mobile Banner Ads
- Known as “medium rectangles”
- They are popular among tablets and desktops and among some apps compatible with tablets.
- As its shape is like the square, it has more place to fill with the ads.
- 300*250 banner ads that placed above outperform ads placed below.
While implementing banner ads,
- Allocate space for banner ads in order not to interfere with the rest of app’s content.
- Separate banner ads from app’s elements.
- Put the same ad across several screens to raise the possible click rate.
- Use the animated banner to improve the user experience.
- Determine the refresh rate as around 30 seconds which is the industry average.
- Work with more than one banner ad provider.
- Experiment with different banner options.
While implementing banner ads,
- Don’t ask users to click as it results in getting clicks from users who are not interested in it.
- Don’t place the banner ad near any element which causes accidental clicks, especially avoid places that require users action like “start button”
- Don’t place banner ad on the active gameplay screen. It results in being ignored your banner by users as users focus on playing a game.
- Don’t place the banner ads in non-visible places.
- Don’t place more than one banner on the same screen. It results in getting bad user experience as well as banning from the ad network.
What are Interstitial Ads?
They are interactive ads that cover the full screen. They are displayed at the transition points of an app such as while an app is loading or after an app is closed.
For mobile; 320*480 (the most popular size) and 480*320 interstitial ads perform quite well.
For tablets; 1024*768 and 768*1024 interstitial ads perform quite well.
- It is placed on crucial moments like opening a game.
- Closing the ad requires user action.
- Fullscreen on mobile especially grab the attention of users.
- They are best placed within games with levels, according to experts.
- It has a larger space and a broader message. Also, they are visually compelling.
- It requires more design work.
What are Native Ads?
As can be understood from its name, native advertising resemble the organic content of the platform upon which they appear. It is the hottest tactic of mobile advertising. As they don’t look like an ad, it is a great way to get users without disrupting them.
Mobile native ad formats can be delivered in a variety of ways:
- Publications such as Forbes have sponsored posts
- Facebook suggested posts
- Twitter sponsored Tweets
- Promoted Pins on Pinterest
- Promoted listings on Foursquare or Yelp
- Sponsored stories on Buzzfeed, Mashable, Huffington Post, etc.
They come in various forms and sizes. Your job is just to give the component of the ad. Publisher displays the ad in a way fitting the actual content of its app.
- The basic feature is being less distracting than other ads.
- It has a higher CTR(10.6%) and better ad engagement (14%).
What are Video Ads?
Mobile video ad formats display video content that plays when a user is engaging with an app or s/he opens it knowingly and willfully. It requires a higher budget than others but offers higher engagement.
You can the size of video ads from the image below.
*Image was taken from Gadmobe.
- Users like video.
- It requires more budget to produce.
- It can be useless if poor.
- They should be short (as mentioned in 15 to 30 seconds range).
What are Rich Media Ads?
Rich media ads include advanced features such as video, audio, GPS, or other elements. I mean these ads get benefit from mobile-specific technology.
You can the size of rich media ads from the image below.
*Image was taken from Gadmobe
- Known as “multimedia banner”
- It is the best format for advertisers with ambitious goals.
- They are interactive and dynamic.
- According to a study by the IAB and comScore, rich media ads result in higher user interaction (79% higher) better brand recall (18% more viewers recalled the brand) and better message recall (23% more users remembered the message of the ad)
What are Mobile Game Ads?
Mobile game ad formats take the best out of the in-app environment: interactivity, commitment, and memorable user experience. In-game advertising can be static and vibrant, including videos or interstitial advertisements.
The size of mobile game ads can be similar to interstitial and video mobile ad formats.
- They are highly interactive and engage more.
- They are cost-effective.
- Their mobile ad format is universally supported.
Do you have a game app? You may also want to check this blog to learn what are the best ad format for your mobile game!
Which One is The Best Mobile Ad Format & Which Ones Work for You?
Of course, choosing the most effective ad format is important to generate revenue, it is regarding select good quality ad network and some special dynamics belong to your app and business line as well. You can follow these questions to ask yourself about determining and choosing the most suitable, effective mobile ad format for you:
- Who is the target audience of your app?
- How often and how they interact with mobile apps?
- What will your mobile platforms be and how will you select them?
- For how long do you plan running your ad campaign?
- What is your budget, minimum-maximum?
- Do you have any tool to test and determine the important metrics for ad formats performance?
Please don’t forget that your specific needs, restrictions, and requirements are very important as much as your mobile ad format. Thus, before you choose the mobile ad format to use in your campaigns, you have to undergo an analyzing process to answer these questions.
We explained to you briefly what are mobile ad formats. We hope you create great advertisements using one of these mobile advertising formats.