4 Leading Mobile Ad Types Of 2017: Banner Ads Still Exist!
Over the last months, we talked about the most innovative strategies for mobile advertising. Let’s make a recap and highlight the best mobile ad types which will continue this year. In the same time, we will talk about the most disowned category: Banner Ads. Why it is so rejected and most important, why is it still visible in many apps?
Leading Mobile Ad Types
If you ask yourself what are the most popular ad types, here it is the answer.
Native Ads, as their name sounds are ads similar to the content of the app. They aren’t intrusive and users appreciate them exactly for their native aspect.
- Being part of the app, native ads are displayed in various forms and sizes. They are a good alternative to the old banner ads since they blend in the context and they are not bothering users’ eyes. As you can see they have more than 50% chances to be appreciated more than boring ad types.
- With a high eCPM rate, native ads are suitable for all type of apps being perceived like additional information for users, not just ads meant to interrupt their activity.
- Because they blend with the background, native ads are well received by users for a more impressive experience. In the same time, app owners who adopt this type have to be careful not to make the ads too hard to be noticed. Besides that, offering the right ad to the targeted audience will have the wanted effect.
Interstitial Ads come in form of images or video. For this type, advertisers must be very inventive to create attractive ads for moving users’ attention from the action performed before, to the interstitial and back to app’s content.
- They occupy the whole screen, having the size of 300 X 250 or 320 X 250 pixels. It offers the possibility of escaping by clicking on top, right X or to navigate for more information.
- Having a high eCPM rate, interstitial ads are often the solution for promotion chosen by many experts. Providing rich media content to engage users. In the same time, interstitials drive high impressions and conversions if they are used in an inspired manner.
- Due to the fact that interstitials occupy the entire screen can be considered intrusive. But this feeling can be altered if you place the ad between main activities. With the right content, it can be considered a little break.
Video Ads are obviously promotional content presented through clips.
- Harder to implement and with effects on devices’ performance they gather their advantages from the visual effect. With a length between 15 and 30 seconds, customers appreciate brands which promote their products through videos.
- Video ads have also high eCPM rate. If done right, users are impressed by the content presented in a compelling way.
- Similar to interstitials, they occupy the entire screen, but they can be used for various purposes. Don’t forget to add an exit button for users to return to their previous activity if they don’t resonate with the content presented in the ad. In the same time make sure that your ad is understandable without sound in case customers are in public places.
Rewarded Video Ads are just like video ads but with additional benefits for users if they choose to watch it.
- Rewarded videos are non – intrusive short videos without skippable options.
- With a high eCPM rate, rewarded video ads seem to be the leader of ad formats. Customers are pleased to win some advantages while they are watching a video.
- Rewarded video ads have their own style to attract users and to influence their actions for a better experience overall. If developers adapt ads as part of the app, then they will increase engagement while promoting different products.
Banner Ads Still Exist!
Banner ads are the oldest form of advertising for mobile. Which smartphone owner doesn’t recognize the 300 X 50 or 320 X 50 formats whenever he downloads an app? But, with inventive methods for a promotion that appears every day how come banner ads are still visible in many apps? And the question that is in everybody mind: They will continue in the future? Tejal Patel, director of consumer engagement at Microsoft states that banner ads will disappear in less than 4 years. That remains to be seen. Until then, let’s focus on what banner ads really are.
Why Are They So Criticized?
Let’s see why many mobile marketers think so badly of banner ads.
- “Banner Blindness” Syndrome
People are so used to this type of ads that they began to ignore them. If an app is essential for work but it contains banner ads, the human mind just avoids paying attention to them.
- Bad UX
Banner ads divert users’ attention from their activity inside the app. Losing focus from usual tasks becomes annoying for them. In the same time brands who choose this type of ad needs to find the right balance between offering more information inside the app and a cluttered content.
- Low eCPM
With banner ads, you do more harm than good. You don’t see revenue instead you may watch your users uninstalling your app.
- Low Engagement
Professional mobile marketers aim for app retention, but with banner ads, this is almost impossible. Who wants an app with a permanently blinking section when there are thousands of alternatives in app stores?
Why Are They Still in Place?
It sounds crazy that with all the above attractive elements for mobile advertising, banner ads are still seen in many apps. But why many app owners still keep them?
- Became a Habit
After investing so much time and effort in developing an app, owners don’t have resources anymore to search for suitable ad types. They go with the handiest solution.
- Cheapest Ad Format
When you have almost no money for investing in ads, you look for methods according to your budget. You just need to be careful with the way you create the ad. You have to choose high – quality images, pleasant colours and avoid adding too much text. The vital element inside banner ads remains a call to action.
- Easy to Implement
The best part is that you don’t need different code for various screen sizes.
They are visible in the same way for the web, mobile – web and mobile apps.
- Still Effective for Creating Brand Awareness
Since they appear all over the app, unlike the other ad types, they are meant to be observed by users in every point of the application. If users allow themselves to take a peak to the ad while they use the app, they may be interested in what it presents.
It is not enough to say that your app needs an ad; you have to understand the best ad type suitable for your creation. We presented you four of the most impressive ad formats of the moment like native ads, interstitials, videos and rewarded ads. In the same time, we gathered pros and cons of a format that seems to be here forever but with question marks for the future: banner ads. After reading the article, did you decide? What is going to be the right choice for your app?